Hi, I’m the Palmetto Girl. Welcome to my first blog post!
Wow, my first blog post. Look at that gorgeous phrase. So new, so full of promise, so… dorky?
Well, that fits. I’d certainly describe myself as a dork. Let’s examine the evidence:
- I’m a mathematician. Seriously, that’s what I do for a living. It’s pretty boss.
- I still use phrases like “ it’s pretty boss.”
- I’m an avid TV-watcher – but mostly the geeky, weird stuff, like Supernatural, The Flash, Arrow, The Walking Dead, Marvel’s Agents of Shield, Sleepy Hollow, Gotham, and Adventure Time (I blame the husband for that one). Historically, my faves are Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Doctor Who, Angel, Battlestar Galactica… this list could take a while. You won’t catch me watching Keeping Up with the Kardashians or The Real Housewives of [I don’t care].
- I make lists
- often with sub-lists (see #3 above).
- I’m an aspiring travel enthusiast. While that one’s not dorky in itself, the things we do on vacation can be (hint: mostly they revolve around food).
- I knit. I am a 28-year-old that knits for fun.
- I read comic books. I’m one of those annoying people who say:
This list could go on semi-infinitely (How do you like that, Pythagoras? What’s that you say, Pythagoras didn’t prove infinity? Well I did say I was a mathematician, not a historian!), but I will spare you. So, in an effort to get out of my increasingly-shrinking shell, I decided to start this blog. And in trying to decide what I should write about, I came up with this genius idea: show how not to be a dork, while still embracing your inner dorkiness. I plan to write about my everyday life, mostly, and my attempt to embrace a more cool-girl atmosphere while staying true to myself.
So what does that mean, practically? I’ll write about learning experiences I’ve had, makeup I’ve tried, outfits I like, recipes that I’ve learned, maybe some home décor and crafting… really anything that comes to my mind. The thing is, I’ve never been a fashion magazine editor, or a beautician, or a professional chef. But I have been a dork my whole life, so you’ll get the dorky, geeky version of these things at a real level with hopefully entertaining commentary.
So, back to my first blog post – I should introduce myself. My name is Ashley, and I am from the grand ole’ state of South Carolina (hence, the Palmetto Girl). I have been married for over 6 years to my high school sweetheart, and though we moved out for a short time, we quickly came back to the South. I bleed garnet, old gold, and black (Go Gamecocks and Go Terriers!), and I adore family time, monograms, and Southern charm.
Hopefully this will be entertaining to read, and if not, hey, there are a million other options out there on the internet. But I hope you’ll keep reading mine. In fact, I’m counting on it.
[Who doesn’t like a good math pun? No one? Alright, I’m done now.]